BiographySteve Berman was born in Prescott, Arizona, raised in Phoenix and moved to Gilbert in 1981. He graduated from Maryvale High School in west Phoenix. After high school Steve graduated from ASU and was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the US Army . Steve was honorably discharged from the Army at the rank of Captain.
After the army he entered the corporate world, receiving national recognition from companies like Xerox, US West am Qwest for sales and management. The lessons learned were valuable when he opened his own businesses. These combined experiences created a rich environment to shape Steve into a respected, solution oriented, tenacious, regional leader. Among Steve's accomplishment are:
- Mayor, Gilbert Arizona, 10 years
- Town Council, Gilbert Arizona 4 years
- Chairman-Williams Gateway Airport Authority (two terms)
- Chairman-Maricopa Association of Governments-TPC
- Chairman-Arizona Municipal Water Users Association
- Executive Board-Arizona League of Cities and Towns
- Executive Board-Maricopa Association of Governments
- Executive Board-Greater Phoenix Economic Council GPEC
- Executive US West
- President- North American Renewable Energy
Steve's father Sid was a disabled veteran from WWII and an Arizona businessman. His mother Lita was a stay at home mom but worked as a telephone operator the Army's Prisoner of War camp in Flagstaff Arizona during WWII. He is married to the former Susan L. Schmidt and has two children, Steve and Elizabeth, three step children, Jeff, Jennifer, and Daniel, and five grandchildren, Jeremy, Trent, Payton, Taylin, and the formidable Carter! Steve graduated from Arizona State University as did his wife, both of his children and his step-daughter. Steve Jr. is a micro-biologist in Tempe, Elizabeth provides technical support at Verizon, Jennifer is a Master's level counselor practicing in Wyoming, and his two step-sons are both licensed general contractors, both self-employed, and operate out of their respective Gilbert businesses. Steve and Susan attend a non denominational Christian Church in Gilbert.